Tuesday, June 30, 2009

the culinary highlights of jacksonville

Jacksonville may not be known for food, but we managed to do okay. Here are the highlights, day by day.

Wednesday: Aqua Grill
Seafood Chowder, Fried Green Tomatoes, Vidalia Onion-Crusted Mahi-Mahi with Sweet Potato Crisps, Key Lime Pie

Thursday: Columbia Restaurant (St. Augustine)
Paella (shrimp, chicken and sausage) with a Mojito

Friday: Verrette's
Homemade seafood gumbo, barbecued ribs, quincy jones thriller ribs

Saturday: Chick-fil-A
The best chicken sandwich. They're not in Chicago and had to go on Saturday since they're not open on Sundays.

Sunday: Buca di Beppo: Chicken Parmiginia and Whataburger. They're only in the South and delicious.

3 comments:

  1. I don't get how Chick-fil-A, In-n-Out, Sonic, etc. aren't doing well enough to keep expanding around the country. Yeah, I get keeping it somewhat local to manage things like distribution, but at some point you have to be making enough money to expand so you can make even more, right?

    Basically I'm just mad we don't have any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonic is in 38 states and there's one in Aurora. In-N-Out likes to be out west. And Chick-fil-A is in more places than I thought. I think there's gotta be a diminishing return on opening new places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a Chick-Fil-A in the Union in Urbana?!? Apparently they have been expanding and I didn't know it, though in Illinois it's all south of I-80 so far.

    In kind of related news, thanks to Obama I'm intrigued about Five Guys burgers.

    ReplyDelete