Thursday, June 18, 2009

a surreal experience at the post office

No one likes the Post Office. But I try to tolerate it. Sure there are long lines and surly associates. But it doesn't help me any to walk in there pissed off. And since I've been selling books on half.com, I've had to make a bunch of trips to the Post Office.

When mailing books or other media, you can ship at a reduced rate that takes a bit longer called Media Mail. Of course, they have automated kiosks which I would use, except that Media Mail isn't an option at the kiosk. So I have to wait in line with all the retards who are buying stamps and shipping Priority, which you can quickly and easily do at the kiosk. Anyways...

After waiting in line for 10 minutes, with customers waiting behind me, this was what just happened to me:

Me: Hi, I'd like to ship this Media Mail.
Associate: Anything fragile, perishable, dangerous?
Me: Nope.
Associate: Where is your name on the return address?

(As I've done before when shipping half.com stuff I write my address but leave off my name, just since the stranger receiving the book doesn't need to know.)

Me: Okay, I'll write it on there. (I do so.)
Associate: Do you have any ID? (I hand her my driver's license.) Uh, this address doesn't match the address on the package.
Me: It's an old driver's license. I haven't updated it in a few years.
Associate: So this is your current address? (pointing to the package)
Me: Yes on LaSalle, just up the street.
Associate: Do you have anything else that has your current address on it?
Me: (I look through my wallet) Uh, I don't think so.
Associate: (blank stare)

There is a stand-off here for a couple seconds as I can't find anything to prove I live at the return address and she doesn't want to take my package.

Associate: You should always write your name and current address on the package.
Me: (I find my voter's registration) Here.

Associate: Okay, would you like to send this express?
Me: I'd like to send it Media Mail please.
Associate: What's in this?
Me: Just a paperback book.
Associate: A book? What kind of book? (the package is an 8x10 envelope and you can clearly see the outline of the book and feel it inside)
Me: A paperback.
Associate: What kind?
Me: A paperback textbook.
Associate: (blank stare) A paperback? What kind?
Me: (incredulously, at this point) It's an academic, textbook, paperback.
Associate: Oh, a textbook. That'll be $2.58. Do you want any insurance?
Me: No, that'll do it.
Associate: Confirmation?
Me: No thank you.
Associate: Stamps?
Me: No.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch. I've had the fortune of only using the Post Offices in the suburbs, which are generally quicker and nicer about things because that sounds awful.

    ReplyDelete