Friday, June 05, 2009

what college should I have gone to?

So obviously I had a great time at U of I. I met my wife, found a career, and made some semi-decent acquaintances. And for reasons from financial to geographical, it really was the only choice for me. Literally--I didn't apply anywhere else.

But inspired by this post, in an alternate universe, what options were there? With the benefit of hindsight, the main criteria I'll use are warm weather, sports success and what fits my personality.

Obviously, if I attended a college from 2005-2009, University of Florida would be the only choice.

For starters I'll list the NCAA champions for 2001-2005:

Freshman Year
Football: Miami
Basketball: Maryland

Sophomore Year
Football: Ohio State
Basketball: Syracuse

Junior Year
Football: LSU
Basketball: UConn

Senior Year
Football: USC
Basketball: UNC

Well, no multiple winners in the list and not that many warm places. Miami, LSU and USC made the cut, but Miami scares me. So if I wanted to witness a title, LSU and USC are in the running.

The first other school that comes to mind is Texas. It's in Austin. It's warm, they have a good music scene, and they have barbecue.

Texas Football
Freshman: 11-2, Holiday Bowl victory
Sophomore: 11-2, Cotton Bowl victory
Junior: 10-3, Holiday Bowl loss
Senior: 11-1, Rose Bowl victory (38-37 over Michigan as time expires)
Year after graduating: 13-0, National Championship victory, one of the greatest games ever

Texas Basketball
Freshman: Sweet 16
Sophomore: Final Four (lost to Carmelo's Syracuse team)
Junior: Sweet 16
Senior: First Round

Not a bad sports history, especially when you include the year after college.

The other school that comes to mind is Florida. They didn't win any championships during the four years I would have been there, but they've won a bunch since then. Plus, it's warm.

I like jambalaya and all that, but I don't think I would have enjoyed four years in Baton Rouge.

So now I'm down to:

USC: Los Angeles, beaches, football national championship senior year
Texas: Austin, music, barbecue, football national championship the year after
Florida: Gainesville, four championships after college

I don't think I would have fit in at USC. They seem like douchebags and I'm more of an asshole. Plus, I like the Pacific coast, but LA isn't a college town.

At the end of the day, I think I just would have liked Texas. Between the music and the barbecue, it just seems like my kind of town. And if I went to the Rose Bowl in 08 to watch the Illini lose to USC, I probably would have been at the 06 Rose Bowl and lost my mind.

1 comment:

  1. I think Texas would have been fun. In our next life let's go to Texas together.

    ReplyDelete