Friday, June 19, 2009

Softball 2009: Game 5

Our game last week got rained out, so this is game 5 in week 6. Walking to this game I was worried we were going to get blown out 15-2.

------- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 -- F
THEM 2 1 1 6 0 4 0 -- 14
US --- 1 4 0 0 0 3 0 -- 8

We actually had the lead through three innings. But we couldn't hold defensively and there you go. Here's an example of errors we made: With a runner on first, our shortstop makes a nice catch on a line drive and tries to get the runner out going back to first. In his haste he throws the ball over the first baseman's head and the runner advances to third.

This one's even worse: with a runner on second, our third baseman picks up a groundball. The batter is a girl and he's got tons of time to make the throw to first. He fakes the throw to first, in the hopes of getting the guy on second to take off and tag him. That runner doesn't move, so now he's wasted a couple seconds and he chucks the ball to first way over the first baseman's head. Instead of getting an out and allowing the runner to advance to third, we got no outs, one run scored, and the batter is now on second. When you have guys that are solid hitters, you're counting on that girl every 3 batters for an out. Then your error turns that into an rbi double. That's how you give up 6 in an inning.

My first at bat had a line drive out of reach for their 2B. It went off her glove and I got my first double of the year. The next time up, she shaded to my right, and was in position to make the catch. For my last at bat, I put it up the middle. I thought it was going to land in this giant puddle so I rounded first to get credit for a double if the ump called it out of play. My first base coach was telling me to take second, as well. And then, they got it in quickly and I was easily out on the slide at second.

Batting Stats for Game Five:
1st AB: 2B, run
2nd AB: line out
3rd AB: 1B

Average: .666
Slugging: 1.000
0 walks
0 strike outs
0 rbi
1 run

Pitching Stats for Game Four:
7 IP
14 runs
1 K
0 BB

ERA: 14.00 and the loss

Pitching Record: 1-2

2009 Team Record: 1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment