Wednesday, August 18, 2010

2010 census: favorite video games

Another post in the 2010 Census series, basically a time capsule so I can see what I was into. 

In this process, I've discovered something inherently different about how I consume films, music, video games, and books. I almost never read the same book twice. My favorite films (Fight Club and Lebowski) I can watch over and over. If I enjoy a movie, even if it wasn't in my top echelon, I might come back to it a few years later (Confidence, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and Lucky Number Slevin come to mind recently). But generally, I'll usually only see a movie once or twice. With music, I don't even think I can judge an album until I've listened to it at least 5 times. There are records that aren't even by my favorite bands that I've probably heard over 50 times (Third Eye Blind selftitled for example).

 And then there's video games. Which because of technological advancements, means that something that was absolutely mind blowing, and may have had a profound impact on me, I might never play again because the experience doesn't hold up. So do I judge my favorites in 2010 by what I would pick up and play right now, or judge them in the context of the time? I think I have to give some nod to the context, but also recognize what I would still play today, given the console of the time in front of me. 


NES
Super Tecmo Bowl 

Genesis

NHL '96

Playstation

Metal Gear Solid

Dreamcast

Tony Hawk 2

PS2

GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas
Hitman 2, Contracts
College Hoops 2k5 
Burnout 3  

PS3

Assassin's Creed 2
GTA 4
Saints Row 2
Portal
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars
The Saboteur

No comments:

Post a Comment