Friday, November 22, 2013

30

As of 12:20 am this morning, I have completed thirty revolutions around the sun. I have lived on this rock (which is mostly water) flying through space for 360 months.

Along the way, I have made mistakes.
I have learned things.
I have consumed a lot of food.

I have written books.
I have produced commercials.
I have created new life.

I have lived in three states.
I have traveled to nine foreign countries.
I have gained and lost weight repeatedly.

I like Palahniuk's and Vonnegut's books.
I like Fincher's and Nolan's movies.
I like Kansas City's barbecue.

I'm not afraid of heights.
Or snakes.
But I am afraid of car accidents.

I couldn't be happier with my job.
I couldn't be happier with where I live.
I have sports teams that let me down.

I have an amazing wife.
I have two fantastic kids.
I have nothing sarcastic to say about my family.

I'm a decent cook.
A pretty good dad.
And a below-average husband.

This year, I have discovered that I am not necessarily the person I thought I was.
I have the problem of settling for good enough.
I wonder who I could be if I pushed myself farther.

Overall, I am happy.
I am happy with the life I have.
I am trying to spend my remaining years, living bigger and better.

2 comments:

  1. I normally don't comment on my posts, but didn't want to muddy the waters of the actual post, yet couldn't let this go unsaid: following the preamble, there are 30 statements. (There were originally only 24. Sections 4 and 5 were added to get to 30.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff. I would wish you a happy birthday, but you don't have Facebook, so I don't know how.

    ReplyDelete