Friday, November 29, 2013

Turkey III



I'm pretty comfortable cooking a turkey by now. It's not that it's super difficult, but it is sort of easy to mess up. I'm always happy with my results, moist meat, crispy skin.

This year it was a 18lb bird. Which is a good size to have plenty of leftovers. Could go a bit smaller even.

This was my first time buying a Butterball. It was on sale for $23. It turned out great, but really no better than any other brand.

Make sure you thaw it about 6 days in advance.

My Method:
The night before, take out the crap, wash it, leave it in the fridge overnight exposed.
In the morning, put it in the roasting pan, rub with some oil, season with salt, pepper, chicken rub.
Breast side up, legs to the back of the oven.
Roast at 500F for 30 minutes. Then drop it to 350. For an 18lb bird, it needed an additional 3 hours at 350.
I covered the white meat with foil when I was happy with the color.
When it's done, transfer to the cutting board and cover it loosely with foil again to let it rest and retain heat.
That's it.

My carving job this year was less focused on presentation, and more focused on not carving more than I needed. Hours later, I carved the rest so that the leftovers could be as moist as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment