Friday, May 30, 2014

a good walk spoiled: part eight


This was by the longest course I've ever played. 9 holes took about 2 hours and I was beat. My shots on the ninth started failing me. Maybe one day I'll play 18, but this wore me out.

(This was also the nicest course I've played, but that's not saying much. It was $18 for the front nine.)

The first hole was rough. I'm not confident in my woods. This is only my third time playing a regulation course (not a par 3) and the first time I didn't even bring my woods. My second shot went out of bounds. Luckily, it's not that long of a hole and I only took four actual swings.

I just don't have distance. Today I hit one green in regulation and it was the par 3 5th. In fact, on 6 out of 9 holes, by the time I was putting, par was off the table.

The fourth hole features a giant lake in front of the tee box. I hit a great tee shot and it just found the water on the far edge. That was the only ball I lost today. (This was the first time golfing since Father's Day 2012 when Brit gave me 18 titanium golf balls.)

My best shot came on the 5th. I got out my 5-iron and placed it right on the green. One of weaknesses in the past has been first putts. But today my first putts were great. I left myself a totally makable 5-footer for par. And I just missed it wide leaving myself another 5-footer for bogey. And I made that one.

The sixth started poorly but ended well. My tee shot (3-wood) went out of bounds. I found it and took a drop. Since it's 495 yards, after four strokes (counting the penalty) I was still about 190 yards out. From there I got in, in three. Great 5-iron from the fairway to the fringe. A great 25-foot fringe putt that rolled within two feet.

If those last three strokes would have come on a par 3, it would have been a rare par. Also, I two-putted 5 of the 9 holes. If I had done that on the 5th, I would have made par. Alas.

On the 8th, I got on in three. I had about a 20-footer and I was just trying to two-putt. And wouldn't you know my first putt almost went in. It looked like it was going in the whole way. At the end it rolled an inch wide, about 5 feet past the hole. And I missed the comebacker. But that was almost a genius par on a par 4.

- - -

Tip for Future Dave: remember to follow through. Makes a big difference.

- - -

Here's the historical record:

August 14, 2005: +15 on a par 3
August 27, 2005: +9 on a par 3
July 3, 2009: +17 on a par 3
July 3, 2010: +22 on a par 3
July 5, 2010: +22 on a normal 9-hole course
October 3, 2010: +23 on a normal 9-hole course
October 16, 2011: +17 on a par 3
April 12, 2012: +15 on a par 3
May 30, 2014: +22 on a normal 9-hole course

I am shockingly consistent on regulation courses. 

Still, I shot 58. And breaking 50 would be nice.

Also, in these 9 outings, I've made 4 pars. One on a par 4. The others were all on par 3 courses.

Today, I had:
2 bogeys
2 double bogeys
4 triple bogeys
1 +4

Not the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment