Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Search for Cilantro Salsa

I've been eating healthier again and one of my favorite lower-calorie meals are tacos.

Some grilled chicken (50 calories), flour Guerrero tortilla (100 calories), a little light sour cream and some salsa and you're good to go. A meal of two tacos is about 400 calories and really filling.

Except the salsa has to be key. For months I had it in my head that I had this one salsa that was cilantro flavored and it was awesome. I searched multiple grocery stores and eventually found it. It was at King Soopers, their Private Selection Zesty Cilantro Salsa.

And I came home and you could hardly taste the cilantro.

So I decided to fix that. I thought I would try out the cilantro paste that I've seen but never had. My logic was this: I love cilantro. But I never have it when I want it. And then I buy it and goes bad really quickly. So if the paste is good, it would be really handy. Plus, I figured mixing it in salsa is a good application.

And since I'm going to make some custom salsa, I might as well squeeze a lime in there. Similar logic. I love lime juice on my tacos. But once you cut open a lime, it goes bad pretty quickly. Adding it to the salsa means lime juice all day.

The verdict...? This salsa is awesome. Dave's Super Zesty Cilantro and Lime Juice Salsa.

3 comments:

  1. Cilantro paste?!? What is this sorcery? I must get some for the exact reasons you mentioned...I love cilantro and hate how fast it goes bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Limes are a lot easier to use up...just make a cocktail to go with your tacos ;)

    ReplyDelete