Friday, May 02, 2014

True Seeding in the NHL Playoffs?

I swear, I swear I was planning on doing this post before the Avalanche lost. This isn't complaining about their matchup.

I actually like the idea of divisional playoffs for building rivalries. I think that's more of a thing in hockey. In the NBA, I don't think that Toronto playing Brooklyn 3 years in a row would generate intense rivalries, I think it would just be boring. I think seeding 1-16 in the NBA Playoffs would be very interesting.

But because I'm curious, let's just see what it would look like in the NHL.

1 Boston vs 16 Dallas
2 Anaheim vs 15 Detroit
3 Colorado vs 14 Columbus
4 St. Louis vs 13 Philadelphia
5 San Jose vs 12 New York
6 Pittsburgh vs 11 Minnesota
7 Chicago v 10 LA
8 Tampa Bay vs 9 Montreal

First, some notes. St. Louis would have been the biggest beneficiary, playing a team 6 spots worse than their actual matchup. Philly would be hit the hardest, playing a team 8 spots better.

So your actual winners of the first round are by seed:
1, 2, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12

- - -

Let's set this up like a bracket and make some projections based on performances so far.

First Round (winners in bold)

1 Boston vs 16 Dallas
8 Tampa Bay vs 9 Montreal

4 St. Louis vs 13 Philadelphia
5 San Jose vs 12 New York

6 Pittsburgh vs 11 Minnesota
3 Colorado vs 14 Columbus

7 Chicago v 10 LA
2 Anaheim vs 15 Detroit

Montreal was the easiest pick as they actually already swept the Lightning. Boston and Anaheim also won against teams that already lost. Pittsburgh and Chicago are lined up against winning teams, but I feel good about those picks here. And Colorado and Columbus have both been eliminated, but I don't think I'm a homer for picking the team that went to overtime in game 7. Same for St. Louis and Philly.

The only one's that tough is San Jose vs New York. New York is still alive and San Jose isn't. My brain thinks that SJ is much better, but I'll advance NY here. Who's to say the Sharks wouldn't collapse against the Rangers?

Second Round

1 Boston vs 9 Montreal
4 St. Louis vs 12 New York

6 Pittsburgh vs 3 Colorado
7 Chicago vs 2 Anaheim

I think I should leave this here for now and come back to it. Pittsburgh over Colorado is an easy call, but the others are up in the air. Right now, I would pencil in Boston, St. Louis and Chicago. Man, this bracket would have really shaped up well for the Blues.

- - -

Now to compare this to reality. Under this new scenario, St. Louis and Colorado would still be alive. Minnesota and LA would have been eliminated.


1 comment:

  1. The NHL has it almost perfect right now. If they just get rid of the possibility of the wild card teams flipping divisions, it would be ideal. I love how the rivalries are going to build and build. There was nothing better than Wings-Avs in the late 90s - early aughts. That's going to happen again, but all over the league. It will also raise the excitement for the regular season.

    ReplyDelete