Wednesday, November 22, 2017

From 33 to 34

Leading up to my 33rd birthday a year ago, I had an idea. It was to make 33 the best year of my life. I thought there was something special in the number and I was about to embark upon a new journey--a new job, a new city. So I made a document. There were 4 sections. Career, Personal, Fitness, Family. Each of the four sections had specific action items underneath. I thought if I accomplished these things, it would make it the best year of my life.

Overall I was about a 50% success rate.

I did lean into my career, going pretty well.
I did some personal writing, feel good about that.
I did go to some Chiefs games.

I didn't take my family camping.
I didn't reach any of the fitness goals.
I didn't do curling or indoor skydiving.

But sitting here as I turn 34, I don't think I should judge my year on the goals I had. Because a lot happened that I wasn't expecting.

- - -

Not only did I really try to make the most of my career, I produced more TV than I ever had before. Actually made a funny commercial and it was for the Chiefs. Got to travel to NY and LA for work. Despite the occasional to frequent stress, it's been a great year at work.

With some help from Niraj, I came up with an idea for a book to write and have completed 98% of the first draft. It makes me laugh. I feel really good about it.

I've really had a great year with the kids. We've been reading lots of books, they started soccer and swimming and tumbling. I'm so proud of them.

I got to live in Kansas City for the first time since I was 9. I did more escape rooms, I took my family hiking, took vacations, ate a lot of barbecue.

I moved into a great house and have an amazing game room that I just love to be in.

I found Unity Temple which brings me peace and perspective every Sunday.

And most importantly of all, I was able to repair the primary relationship in my life. Every day Brittany brings me joy and love in a way that can't be replicated. I'm excited to be with her, I'm excited every day for our life together. My family is whole again and that's really all that matters in life.

- - -

So was it the best year of my life? Well, what's the competition?

When I was 18, I started dating Brittany and made life-long friends in my first year in college.

When I was 21, I graduated early from college, proposed to Brittany, got to experience an Illinois Final Four run, and moved to Chicago for an internship.

When I was 27, I became a dad, got a new job and moved to Colorado.

Those were all pretty great and influential years. There's really no need to split hairs and try to claim one was better than another. But I will say it's true that you don't know what you have until it's gone. When I was 27, I was on top of the world. Hadn't felt what it was like to go through something truly difficult and come out the other side. Now I try my best to appreciate everything that I have and take nothing for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment