Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Defining My Beer Palate

Now that I've rated and reviewed over 200 beers (not 1500 like some people) I thought it would be interesting to glean some trends.

Here are the Top 20 beers I've ever had, broken down by rating, but not in order otherwise. 

5 Stars


4.75 Stars

4.5 Stars











Here's the breakdown of these 20 beers by style:

Double IPA - 8
IPA - 6
Triple IPA - 2
Sour - 2
Pale Ale - 1
Golden Ale - 1

So this is actually pretty eye-opening. First of all, 18 of my top 20 is either some form of IPA or Sour. The only Pale Ale in my top 20 is a citrus-heavy one from Lagunitas. Despite Sierra Nevada being my gateway beer, turns out I don't actually enjoy Pale Ales. Also the Summer Love Golden Ale from Victory Brewing seems to be a one-off that was biased by the hot dog and chips and sunshine. 

Let's go deeper. 

I've tried 17 Double IPAs and 8 of them made my top 20. 
I've tried 53 IPAs and 6 made my top 20. 
I've tried 2 Triples both made my top 20. 
I've tried 3 Sours and 2 made my top 20. 

Sorted by efficiency that's:

Triple IPA: 100%
Sour: 66%
Double IPA: 47%
IPA: 11%

Then you go back and look at my very top ratings...

A Double and Sour got my only perfect scores, closely followed by a Double and a Triple. 

It becomes clear that (single) IPAs are not in my top three styles, and yet that's what I've tried the most.

So now I know. Go for a Double, Triple or Sour. I haven't tried enough Triples or Sours to really declare a precise ranking of those three styles. 

3 comments:

  1. What's with you hipsters and your IPAs? Since when is Tequiza not a good beer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well turns out Single IPAs aren't even my favorite despite me ordering them so much. Also, despite only seeing Burnsy twice since getting this app, somehow 8 of my top 20 beers I've had with Burnsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skew the beer bar upwards :) I've been pretty lousy about checking things in for a pretty long time though. Also, what about other styles (not to mention the really broad range of sours....tart to sweet and everything in between...I thought I hated them for a long time, turned out I was just looking for a narrow slice of well-balanced ones). Porters and stouts, belgians, saisons, reds, browns, hefeweisen/wheat beers...

      Delete