Tuesday, September 17, 2019

White Whales

Certainly one of the great things about the internet for me is being able to find things that I used to love, and relive those memories. For example, I can easily google "tornado board game" and up comes the 1991 board game Tornado Rex, with commercials, video playthroughs and even ebay listings.

But there have been three things that I was unable to find for a long time. One, I was able to find in 2013. The other two remain elusive.

- - -

1. Blade Warriors

This post is still one of my favorites.

The email response from Fred Tallaksen is incredible, as is the youtube comment from Nick Yukon. What I love about this is that it was a show from 1994. In say, 1997, there would have been no way to track it down. In 2006, I was able to find a bit of info and emailed someone but wasn't sure I had the name right. But someone uploaded video to Youtube in 2009 and I was able to track it down in 2013. Somehow the farther away from something pretty forgettable, the easier it became to find it.

2. A punk-pop violin band I saw in Champaign in 2002

Here's what I emailed to the Champaign radio station in 2006:




No reply. I also emailed Polyvinyl Records, the local music label thinking they would know the scene. No reply. 

But now it's 2019. We have Spotify, YouTube. It should be easy to find, right? At one point, I thought maybe their name was Mitchum, but turns out that's a deodorant.

So now I'm left with two conclusions. Either they were named Mitchell and were so small that there's no trace on the internet. Or I can't remember their name at all, and I'm left searching for a band that played at a party with a violin in a few songs. 



3. a picture find book featuring a family



Niraj was my go-to in 2005 for google help and still in 2018. 

So today, without even re-reading the emails, I searched "scholastic fenders picture find book". Nothing. I go to google images. Here are the results:


Do you see it? 

Do you know what it's like to catch a white whale on your hook? 

Holy shit. I'm not crazy. This did exist. There's even a sequel. 


Just incredible. Now to get eBay copies! Now if only I could track down that stupid band.

1 comment: