Monday, March 05, 2007

3.05.07



I just made the best dinner I've had since I've started foodasfuel™. I've made some pretty good chipotle cheddar lean-beef burgers, but that was even better. This was the first time I've ever made fried chicken, and it was healthy and delicious.


Click on me for Super Delicious Detail!

I started with strips of boneless pre-cooked frozen chicken, (6oz = 240 calories) mircrowaved them until they were warm, and then rolled them in a spice rub I created:
  • freshly ground sea salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • garlic powder
  • spicy chicken seasoning
  • emeril's essence
  • pinch of chili powder
Then I dredged the pieces in flour (less than 1/4 cup = 75 calories at most) and then pan-fried them in a skillet on medium heat with PAM* as the only oil. I also added crushed Honey Bunches of Oats (no more than 25 calories) for extra crunch.

The flavor was good enough to eat on its own, but I dipped them in low-calorie ranch and barbecue sauce. The result was a dinner under 400 calories, with under 10 grams of fat and about 2 saturated fat grams.

At KFC, a breast and drumstick are 610 calories, with 36 grams of fat, 11 saturated. Plus, you'd likely get fries or biscuits or something else on the side anyways.

[1] In the past 2 months there are certain ingredients that I wouldn't want to live without. PAM, or any non-stick spray is essential to low-calorie cooking. Apples (granny smith only) are incredible, 100% whole-wheat bread is surprisingly delicious*, South Beach cereal bars (along with a fruit) are my breakfast-tasty and filling at 140 calories, potatoes are filling and versatile-baked, fries, hash browns, and I rely on chicken more than anything for my lean-meat protein dinners.

[2] I frickin' love 100% whole wheat bread. I used to eat 'wheat bread' when I was younger and it always tasted dry and not very good. And that didn't even have the health benefits of the whole grain. But I'm a convert to the 100% whole grain. It's rich and hearty, yet soft and tasty. I find it more filling and a more enjoyable bread. I've tried both Butternut and Jewel brands and they are both satisfying. Also, just because something says "whole grain" doesn't mean that it has that much whole grain, look for 100%.

1 comment:

  1. In the States do you have "Sweet Chili Sauce"? it's all over the place over here and i was wondering if you want me to bring you any. i could have written an email, but i was already here.

    ReplyDelete