Thursday, July 26, 2007

fincher/palahniuk/zodiac


So I watched Zodiac last night, and after 2 hours and 40 minutes...I wasn't sure what to think. It was well done, but it wasn't that interesting. (possible spoiler alert) The plot simply didn't have that much there, I kept waiting for some sort of revelation, and it never really came. It was based on real life events, and that's part of the problem with real life sometimes, it's not that captivating. The movie covers a police investigation over 10 years, and I bet the policemen felt like not much was happening then too.

The reason I rented it was because of David Fincher. Ignoring his first feature film (Alien 3) his filmography looks like:
  • The Game
  • se7en
  • Fight Club
  • Panic Room
  • Zodiac
The first three share many characteristics, and Panic Room showed off many cool techniques, as well. Zodiac was his first film that felt slow--the first that didn't captivate me.

Also, by watching more of his films and reading more of Palahniuk's books, I can definitively say that the magic behind Fight Club was more due to Palahniuk than Fincher. Which makes me excited for the future adaptations of more of his novels into films.

And I will say that it irks me that in the Zodiac poster it claims "from the director of se7en and Panic Room."

No comments:

Post a Comment