Thursday, September 13, 2007

ncaa 2005, yet again

I tend not to write too much about the video games I play, for obvious reasons, but this was too ridiculous not to mention it.

(That corner should have tried to swat.)

So I'm playing NCAA 2005, and I'm Texas. (This is the 04-05 roster--the year that USC/Oklahoma/Auburn went undefeated and Leinart won the Heisman. This is of course a year before Texas would play USC in one of the greatest championship games)

All year I've been winning with defense and a running game led by Vince Young, but with no passing game. Young can't hit wide open receivers, and when he does, they drop it. I averaged giving up 95 yards a game on defense.

So I'm playing Nebraska in the Big 12 Championship...and I'm up 7-0. I get them into a 4th down, but they are on the Texas 38 or so--too long for a field goal, too close to punt. So they go for it. And they throw a pass down the right sideline, I switch to the safety and go to the ball and attempt to pick it off. The receiver catches it in between the corner and safety where there was only a slim window to fit it in. I think if I had attempted to swat, I might have been able to knock it down. Anyways, the receiver catches it and blows past me and is in to tie it up on a 4th down pass.

I end the half with a field goal and regain the lead, 10-7.

On the opening drive of the second half, Nebraska on third down, throws a pass deep on the right sideline. The pass icon indicates it will land on the sideline, but I'm thinking he might be able to get to it anyways. As I approach the ball I'm thinking about the earlier play "just swat it down" -- I don't even realize that he overthrow the receiver by 5 yards.

You already know what happens.

As the safety, as I'm running out of bounds, I swat the pass, and it bounces back in the field of play, right in to the hands of the trailing Nebraska receiver. He's able to take it to the 1 yard line, on a ridiculous third down conversion.

Luckily, I was able to play stout defense and force a field goal attempt and was able to win the game 24-10. But it was one of the more unbelievable plays I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment