Monday, April 28, 2008

Chiefs 2008 Draft

First, thoughts on Jared Allen: I've always subscribed to the "bird in the hand philosophy", so I wasn't excited to trade away one of our best players (on a team with not many good ones) just for draft picks. But when you factor in that Allen didn't want to play here, the Chief's franchised him, getting more than they would have otherwise, everyone thinks the Vikings gave him too much money and gave us too many picks, and everything the Chiefs did in the draft, I'm as satisfied as I could be. In fact, I think I'm drinking the Red and Gold Kool-Aid: it was smart to let Allen go.

Since this is such an important draft, I'm going to go round by round and give my thoughts. In a few years, I'll revisit this post to see how well the Chiefs and I had it right.


Round 1: 5th overall
Glenn Dorsey - DT
This is absolutely what I would have done. But I'll be curious to compare him to Gholston and Ellis down the road and see if it really was as good as we think it was.

Round 1: 15th overall
Branden Albert - OL
They traded up to get him and I like the pick. Although I was sort of hoping they would trade up to get Chris Williams, who went to the Bears. We'll have to compare Albert to Williams and Cherilus, who the Lions got in the Chief's 17 slot.

Round 2: 35th overall
Brandon Flowers - CB
Very happy with this pick as well. Though I would have rather taken Quentin Groves - DE, who went to the Jaguars at 51. I also had my eye on Brohm who went to the Packers at 55.

Round 3: 73th overall
Jamaal Charles - RB
This is the pick I question. By taking a RB here, you're saying he's a big improvement over Kolby Smith, which I doubt. But time will tell. I would have rather taken Early Doucet, pair him up with Bowe and have a LSU wideout corps.

Round 3: 76th overall
Brad Cottam - TE
Apparently this guy will be good. I'm fine with getting another TE. Still, Doucet and Manningham was still on the board. Doucet ends up going 81.

Round 3: 82th overall
DaJuan Morgan - S
Is he better than the mediocre Safeties we already have? Probably not. Will he make the final roster? Who knows. Apparently he's good on special teams, and Kiper says he solid, but I'm not convinced.

Round 4: 105th overall
William Franklin - WR
The Chiefs finally get another receiver. I hope he pans out. The best part about him is his nickname - "The Helicopter." John David Booty was still on the board, I bet he sucks, but it will be interesting to see who has more success.

Round 5: 140th overall
Brandon Carr - CB
This is the 3rd Brandon(en) taken by the Chiefs. I really like this pick. I hope he makes the roster and can be a starter in a few years. Dennis Dixon and Josh Johnson were available QB's and Carl Nicks was an available OT.

Round 6: 170th overall
Barry Richardson - OL
He's enormous and might have potential. We'll see if he makes the roster. It's not that we don't have bodies, it's that we don't have NFL starters. I doubt he's one right away. Andre Woodson was still available.

Round 6: 182th overall
Kevin Robinson - WR
Apparently he's going to be our kick returner. Considering we had Eddie Drummond last year, this guy will seem like a blue-chipper.

Round 7: 210th overall
Brian Johnston - DE
Our first DE taken today. It seems the Chiefs plan on moving a former DT to DE, to replace Allen and make way for Dorsey. Will he make the team?

Round 7: 239th overall
Mike Merritt - TE
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this was a wasted pick. No way he makes the team. But when you're the 12th pick taken by a team, that's okay.
Update: I just read that the Chiefs could use him as OG. I still doubt he makes the team, but if could help our OL, I'd gladly be wrong.

In summary, I hope we can sign our first 11 picks and put them on our roster.

Projected 2008 Starters:
Dorsey - DT
Albert - OL
Flowers - CB
Robinson - KR

2008 Playing Time:
Cottam - TE
Franklin - WR
Charles - RB

2008/2009 Playing Time?
Carr - CB
Morgan - S
Johnston - DE
Richardson - OL

I'm pretty happy the Chiefs didn't draft a QB or kicker. We've got Croyle and it might be time for a free agent (Chris Simms from the Bucs?) I also have seen way too many 3rd rd, 4th rd picks not even make the Chiefs roster. Or in the case of our 2nd rd pick last year, our kicker, we cut that guy in Week 1. So we'll see. But I feel like our team is a lot better, and we could be the 08 version of the 07 Browns.

Pre-Draft, I felt like this team was a 4-12 team. Realistically, now they're 5-11. But with a little luck, this could be an 8-8 team.

No comments:

Post a Comment