Saturday, April 26, 2008

last second draft thoughts

I don't know anything. In 03, when the Chiefs took Larry Johnson, I wasn't very excited. I thought he was a good player but was concerned because he was a Penn State RB, and thought "we need defense, we already have Priest". Well, sure I was right about needing defense, but it's tough to argue with a pick like LJ. Although Polamalu is a great pick in hindsight, but it's not as if I knew his name before the draft.

The point is I really don't have any clue when it comes to the draft. The Chiefs have been slightly above average I think overall, not great by any means, when it comes to drafting. Although this year could have huge future implications.

The one thing I think I think, is that I'd rather not take Matt Ryan. I don't think he's a big improvement over Croyle, so why use a top 5 pick, when we need everything else. Clady, Gholston, Ellis, Long, they're all fine by me. Hell, trade down and still get Clady or Albert.

I'm all about trading down. I think in some cases, teams would be better off swapping first round picks, without even gaining anything. For example, looking at this chart, since Oakland doesn't have that much cap room, would they be better served in the future by taking a player in the top 20 instead of top 4. A 4 pick ties up a lot of money and has no guarantee of being good.

A better example yet would be if the Rams had the budget of the Lions, why should they invest in a #2 pick?

Anyways, if the Chiefs take Ryan, so be it. I might not like it now, but sometimes you just have to say In Herm We Trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment