Thursday, January 08, 2009

nfl playoffs thoughts

So when the playoff teams were set, I started thinking about the teams in the NFC, and I thought that it was entirely possible that the two best teams were the Giants and the Eagles. Which got me thinking about a possible division rivalry in the NFC Championship.

So I looked it up. The 4-division alignment was created prior to 2002. So there have been 6 complete postseasons, meaning 12 conference championship games. And none of them have featured division opponents.

Of course, once I realized the Eagles were the 6th seed, and the Giants were the 1st, I realized it was impossible for them to meet next week. But in the AFC, it could happen, as the Steelers and Ravens are still alive in separate games this weekend.

Here's a quick recap of the divisions left:

NFC East
NFC East
NFC South
NFC West

AFC South
AFC North
AFC North
AFC West

So much for the AFC East which had 2 teams finish 11-5.

Last week, even though I can't prove it, I was dead right on the Cardinals, Eagles, and Ravens. But the one I was most confident about, the Colts, didn't come true. So I'm 3-1 so far.

This week, I'm going with the Titans -3, Panthers -10, Giants -4, as home favorites. And I learned my lesson on the Chargers +6.

Although even though I know Carolina wins, I don't like giving 10 with Jake Delhomme.

No comments:

Post a Comment