Friday, February 27, 2009

Best in Chicago

In June, I will have lived in Chicago for 4 years. (One of my first memories in this city was watching the 2005 NBA Finals in my little studio while shooting hoops on a mini-hoop over my closet door).

Anyways, I think I've lived here long enough to share my picks for my favorites in the city.

Italian Beef

When I was helping Brittany look for an apartment in the 04-05 winter in Lakeview, I asked the white, 30-something guy showing us places where I could get a good italian beef. He had no idea what I was talking about and referred me to an italian restaurant.

My Favorite: Al's #1 Italian Beef


I know now to order "beef, hot, dipped." That's with gardiniera and dipped in juice. Al's is just rich in flavor, hot but not too spicy. Just big, bold italian beef flavor.


Portillo's is okay and I've had many a meal there, from dogs to burgers. I've also had Mr. Beef and it didn't impress me the way that Al's did.

Deep-Dish Pizza

My Favorite: Edwardo's Natural Pizza


So this one is in my neighborhood but didn't go there for a while because the organic name threw me off. I though it would be too frou-frou or more for vegetarians. Now I know the organic touch just means fresh ingredients and quality taste.



Gino's East is the first one that I had and fell in love. But now I realize it's overrated, overpriced and the cheese slides around and the crust is not what I want. Same goes for Pizzeria Uno and Giardiano's.
Link
Lou Malnati's and Pizano's are good, but don't deliver that true DEEP dish experience. And Bacino's was my go-to choice for a while. Not a big name but provides a good standard pie. But it can't edge out Edwardo's.

For the record, I've also enjoyed thin crust at Piece and Brick's, but deep-dish is where it's at.

Other

Hot Doug's for hot dogs.
Windy City Metal Detectors if you lose your wedding ring in a soccer field.
Fodor's See It for travel guides (I prefer the design/layout of the city guides as opposed to the country guides.)

No comments:

Post a Comment