Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Kansas City BBQ Recap: The Sequel

Just got back from 24 hours in Kansas City. Still managed to get in 3 barbecue visits. Although no pictures this time. Just lean and mean. Like a good piece of brisket.

First up: 1:30 pm Friday: Gates in Overland Park

It's lunchtime so I wanted to pace myself. Went with the classic Beef on Bun that comes with fries. It's sort of a cross between sliced and shredded. It comes with a little bit of sauce, but mostly dry.
In store they have three sauces for dipping, Classic, Sweet n Mild, Hot n Spicy. I got a cup of all three for the fries.

The fries are thick cut and sort of unremarkable but pretty damn good too. But the beef on bun? This is what it's supposed to taste like. Just simple and amazing. I ate the sandwich in 5 minutes as Brittany couldn't believe I ate it that quickly. I know I should savor the good things in life, but I couldn't help it. The meat was tender, smoky, and had a good amount of heat. It doesn't try to burn your mouth off, but it lets you know this isn't on the kid's menu at Applebee's. This is real barbecue. And this was a better sandwich than what I got at Arrowhead in October 2007.

Beef on Bun: A+
Fries A

Overall: A+

Friday night carryout Jack Stack

Last time I was here, I got the pork and beef burnt ends with fries and beans and went on record that the pork burnt ends were the best barbecue I've ever had.

So learning from my past experience, I ordered 8 oz. of the pork burnt ends with a side of beans. And wouldn't you know, the burnt ends weren't as good this time. I don't know what to make of it. It was about 16 months apart, and I suppose it depends on the meat available, but it was the same location, same carryout method, and it didn't live up to my expectations.

Perhaps it was because I didn't have the overly-chewy beef burnt ends to act as a comparison. The beans were still good, but I was a little disappointed.

Pork Burnt Ends: B+
Beans: A

Overall: A-

Saturday lunch: Smokehouse BBQ

I had planned on going to Arthur Bryant's, but some of Brit's family in-town wanted to take us here, and who was I to say no.

This place had all the authentic atmosphere of Applebee's (I know, two references) but it's all about the food.

I ordered a beef burnt end sandwich on bun that came with fries, and I added a side of beans. These burnt ends came chopped, and crispy. And delicious. Part of me didn't expect the food to be that great based on the atmosphere, but it was surprisingly good.

The beans were nice and meaty and the fries weren't bad either.

Burnt End Sandwich: A
Beans: A
Fries: B

Overall A-

- - -

For The Record:

Gates, eat-in, Overland Park (2/13/09): A+

Jack Stack, carryout, Overland Park (10/6/07): A
Gates, stadium, Arrowhead (10/7/07): A

Oklahoma Joe's, eat-in, Overland Park (10/6/07): A-
Corky's, eat-in, Memphis (5/24/08): A-
Carsons, eat-in, Chicago (2/7/09): A-
Jack Stack, carryout, Overland Park (2/13/09): A-
Smokehouse BBQ, eat-in, Overland Park (2/14/09): A-

Rum Boogie Cafe, eat-in, Memphis (5/25/08): B+

Neely's, eat-in, Memphis (5/25/08): B

Blues City Cafe, eat-in, Memphis (5/24/08): C

1 comment: