Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Subway Sandwich

At the end of the B.S. Report with the The Soup guy, (not to be confused with today's The USA Today) Simmons read an email about how now that he has a Subway sponsorship, he should try and get a sandwich named after him.

So that leads to the obvious question: If I could get a Subway sandwich named after me, what would I want on it?

This is not as simple as listing all the ingredients I like. It needs to be a cohesive unit that is not overpowering. Also, it needs to be substantially different from all current menu options, otherwise what's the point. Plus, it has to use only standard ingredients.

This is the Dave Fymbo:

It starts with a foot-long Italian Herb & Cheese. But I'm not just going to put a thick layer of meat on the bottom and top it with cheese. I'm alternating a thin layer of meat with it's cheese pairing to form layers of deliciousness.

The base layer is Black Forest Ham. It lays a foundation for the sandwich, both structurally and with flavor. The ham is paired with pepper jack cheese because the ham can handle the spice.

The middle layer is Salami. It goes so well with the ham and builds upon the character with Italian goodness. The cheese pairing here is provolone, so as not to mask the richness of the salami.

The top layer is Bacon paired with cheddar. It is the crescendo on this piece of art. The cheddar and the bacon doing a little dance of love on top of this 12-inch sub.

Now that is a sandwich. Of course how you top it is up to the individual. Personally, I'd take it with lettuce, onions, and mayo and some chipotle southwest sauce if I'm in the mood. And I wouldn't allow tomatoes. If you want tomatoes, I'd tell you to order a different sandwich.

3 comments:

  1. That really does sound pretty damn good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the tomato hating on this blog has gone too far. I may have to report you to the proper fruit-appearing-as-a-vegetable authorities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, next time i'm in chicago, i'm saving my money and going to daveway to get the Fymbowich.

    ReplyDelete