Thursday, December 23, 2010

BS SB II: Media Day Interview #2: Mark


1. What was your draft day strategy?

My draft day strategy was, especially after I saw that I had the #2 overall pick, get Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson, whoever didn't go first. Turns out I was lucky that AD fell to me since Johnson has been a disappointment this year. Then in the second round I needed to get an elite WR. I was hoping one would still be around. When I saw that White, Megatron, and Miles Austin were still on the board, but Schaub, Brees, Manning, Brees, and Rodgers were gone already, I wanted an elite QB, so I drafted Brady and knew I could wait two picks for my turn to come around again and get a good WR. I didn't know who would be best, so I didn't care if two of them would be taken. Turns out Austin was taken and I had White in previous years and liked him, so that was easy. In round 4 I thought I'd go for one of the top TEs, hoping to have an advantage every week at that position, because it seemed like WR and RB were deep this year. So I took Clark a spot before Gates went. Turns out that was a mistake, but they both got hurt eventually anyway. I could have gone undefeated with Gates, though.

Next we came to filling out the lineup. I had a great RB, QB, WR, and TE. I just drafted based on who I thought was best available. I thought Bowe had potential to break out this year and he was going to be the #1 WR on his team at least. When I took Crabtree in the 6th round, I was thinking, then I'll get Foster or Spiller with my next pick. So of course Steve-o took both of them. Crabtree over Foster, who I forgot about at the time, was my biggest draft day mistake. He was low on the ESPN draft application board, so I didn't see him and took Crabtree. If I had just drafted him, I never would have given Steve-o Tom Brady. Again, I could have gone undefeated. In the 8th round, I couldn't believe Mike Wallace was still on the board. I knew he might struggle at first, but that Big Ben loved him as a deep threat last year. Out of my last six picks, on Toby Gerhart is on my team now, and I just picked him up two weeks ago.

I waited on kicker and STD, knowing that I could just drop them every week and play from the free agency pool if I had to. I'm still a little embarrassed I drafted a hurt Chaz Schilens. He was at the top of the ESPN list at the time. I could have done more homework, but overall, all of the players that I drafted in the first five rounds turned out great.

2. Any mistakes or regrets this season?

I don't feel as though I made any mistakes or have any regrets this year. Other than a few draft misses (Clark over Gates and Crabtree over Foster), I feel as though I played a nearly flawless year. I probably sat some people when they should have started, but I grabbed Vick (although from free agency the week after he started, so we all messed up there) and then was able to turn Tom Brady into Arian Foster. I almost dropped Bowe just before he set a Chiefs record for consecutive games with a TD. And I should have picked up Tamme when Clark went down.

3. Any smack you want to talk about your chances of winning it all?

If I don't win the championship, I'll be embarrassed. Harlan has a good team, and I'm not shocked that he made it to the championship. I told Dave awhile ago, when Dave was leading the division, to watch out for Harlan. But come on now, Murder Boners, Tashard Choice and Ronnie Brown don't belong on championship teams. If you win, it's only going to be because my players didn't live up to their standards or got hurt. You better pray for injury.

4. If you don't win the SB, will this season be a failure?

If I don't win the BS SB, this season will be a failure. As far back as October 2nd, when I picked up Vincent Jackson, I was looking ahead to the playoffs. I've got the best team by far and should successfully defend my title. I can only beat myself.

5. Anything else you want to get off your chest?

I played really well all year, but I also got lucky. A month ago I tried to make all kind of trades, giving up Bowe and/or Wallace, Blount, and more just for Nicks (who then got hurt), Marshall (who just hasn't been that good), and other top WRs. None of the guys I went after have been better than Bowe or Wallace, so I'm lucky people turned me down. I also tried to trade Vick for Foster and was turned down. Steve-o wanted Brady. Lucky me. I also tried to trade Vick for Steven Jackson, Maurice Jones-Drew, and maybe another "top" RB, but was denied. My thinking was that I was carrying Kolb as insurance for Vick, but if I traded Vick, I would clear another spot on my bench for a position player. Thank you all for rejecting my trades and thank you Steve for wanting Brady instead of Vick, and being dumb enough to give me the best RB in fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment