Monday, October 17, 2011

a good walk spoiled: part six

I couldn't let 2011 go by without playing at least once.



I picked this course because it was a par 3 that was 2 minutes away. It only cost 9 bucks. The course was fairly nice, water hazards on a couple holes but not too crazy. The only drawback is how cramped the layout is. It's so tight that they have protective screens around many of the tee boxes, as they are often along the fairway/green of surrounding holes.

Funny moment: I'm getting ready to tee off on #2, when the group behind me whistles at me. And points. I was turned the wrong way, aiming for the #9 hole. Whoops.

I didn't play that well, not surprising considering how long it had been. My first shot was great. Then I duffed a chip. Then a great chip and one putt.

Of course I did the worst on the shortest hole. I took out my 7-iron and swung lightly...and still carried over the green, bounced it on the parking lot behind the hole, and landed it on the roof of a garage with a loud clang.

The 5th hole was my best chance for par. My drive was an ugly sort of shot that kept rolling up the left side of the fairway and landed literally on the edge of the green. All I had to do was two-putt for par. My But I went too far past the hole on my 2nd shot, leaving me with an unrealistic par putt. But since there was no one behind me, I replayed my lie from the drive twice, and both times nailed the two-putt. Too bad it didn't count.

The 9th hole was long enough to be a short par 4 on some courses and I had a 6 foot putt to make 4, and I missed it right by an inch.

The worst part of my game is my chipping. Without fail, my first chip on a hole goes three feet. And then usually my second one goes 15 feet past the hole.

The best part of my game is shots 40-90 yards away on the fairway. These seem like they would be hard to get the distance right, but I usually nail them. (Of course, if I have a 80-yard tee shot, I land it on a garage).

My putting and driving are both not that great, but not as bad as my chipping.

- - -

To make me feel better about myself, I want to compile a list of the five greatest holes I've ever played.

5. Hole #9 - Par 4 - 368 yards - Columbus Park, Chicago, IL - 7.5.10

Score: Bogey
Long holes are challenging for me because I lack distance. Scores of 7-9 are typical on par 5s. So a bogey on a 368-yard hole is a notable feat. It took me three shots to get near the green, but a great chip and 1-putt saved bogey.

4. Hole #4 - Par 3 - 113 yards - Walnut Greens, Schaumburg, IL - 8.27.05
Score: Par
I don't have a recollection of my shots. I guess I didn't think it was that notable to get a par (what was I thinking?) I probably landed on the green and two-putted.

3. Hole #6 - Par 4 - 322 yards - Columbus Park, Chicago, IL - 7.5.10
Score: Bogey
This was my only Green In Regulation (on in 2 on a par 4 or on in 3 on a par 5). Of course I three-putted, but still two good shots to get on the green.

2. Hole #6 - Par 3 - 139 yards - Detweiller Golf Course, Peoria, IL - circa 1998
Score: Birdie
This is still the only birdie I've hit after all this years. My drive was short and left. I had a 40-foot approach. I hacked at it and it bounced short of the green, and then rolled right into the cup. Sheer luck.

1. Hole #6 - Par 4 - 322 yards - Columbus Park, Chicago, IL - 10.3.10
Score: Par
My only par on a par 4. My third shot was an 120-yard approach that landed 8 feet from the pin. And I only needed one shot on the green.

No comments:

Post a Comment