Thursday, October 20, 2011

understanding hockey rosters

So I'm all in on the Avalanche. I got the hat in June. They're winning in October. I want to go to at least one game this year. So I'm learning.

One of the first things I learned is that backup hockey goalies get far more playing time then I imagined. I figured it was like backup quarterbacks. And while it's not quite like a pitching rotation, through 6 the backup has already played twice. Two on, one off for the starter.

The other thing I was curious about was the playing time for lines. So because I'm a huge nerd, I built this chart from scratch.


Takeaways from the chart:

The first three lines all get equal playing time, and the fourth line of forwards gets half the time. The first three lines all have a combined 10 points, while the fourth line has a single point.

On defense, the lines get playing time according to rank, but all three lines get plenty of action. Erik Johnson has the most playing time, most assists, but the worst plus/minus. (I know +/- has its flaws.)

Landeskog was the #2 overall draft pick this year, and through the first six games he's already playing up the level of his peers.

I know it's early, but this was interesting and a good way to learn a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment