Monday, January 06, 2014

Return of the Chili

I basically followed the recipe I wrote three years ago. Except that I wanted to make a bigger batch.

Meats
1.88 pounds of Angus Beef Stew Meat
Two grilled Italian Sausages, sliced

Chiles
1 jalapeno with seeds
1 poblano

Veggies
half white onion
half red onion
1 red pepper
5 cloves garlic

Liquids & Spices
2 cup Pace Picante sauce
half cup Gates bbq sauce
6 cups chicken broth
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne powder
sprinkle cinnamon
sprinkle chipotle hot sauce


I seared the stew meat in 4 batches, seasoned with salt and pepper as they came off.



Into the pot with chicken broth. 7:00 am MST.


I've added picante and Gates. Simmered for a while. Right now it's just the beef. 8:45 am MST



All the chiles and veggies get added. 9:00 am MST.

I added the Italian Sausage around 11:00 am. It didn't need to break down at all, I just wanted it in there.


Noon MST. Finished. Good depth of flavor. The jalapeno seeds made it quite spicier, though I wonder if it's better presentation to use more jalapenos with no seeds. I love every component. Served with Fritos Scoops.

The beef was very tender as it had been in the pot for five hours. The veggies and sausage hadn't turned to mush since I added them later. Success all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment