Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Denver Burrito Search: Chipotle Addendum

This doesn't count as one of the numbered reviews, but it is worth noting. Last week, on the way to a radio recording session, I stopped with co-workers to have a burrito at Chipotle. Though having many, many Chipotle burritos over the years, this was the first time since starting the burrito search.

Since I was getting it to go and wouldn't have the ability to add hot sauce, I tried the "hot" red salsa instead of my usual medium green salsa. I also selected the carnitas with fajita veggies, cilantro-lime rice, cheese and sour cream.

I was surprised at how not impressed I was. The biggest standout was by far how disappointing the carnitas were. Just dry and bland. I know I've liked them before but these were sub-par. Which raises a dilemma--for all other establishments my review of a single burrito is the same as my review of their restaurant. But for Chipotle, I have many data points to consider when assigning them a score.

The red salsa was hotter but I missed the flavor that the green salsa brings to the party. The other components were as good as I remembered. The tortilla, which I had always thought was their weak link, was not great, true to form.

In total, it's still a good burrito. But the flavor of the meat brings it down. Even though it was only one data point, it's enough to bring down my overall view of Chipotle's burritos from an 8.5 to an 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment