Friday, July 25, 2014

The Search for Denver's Best Burrito:
Los Carboncitos

This is the 10th installment of this series that I explained fully here.

Denver Burrito #10: Los Carboncitos
722 Sheridan

I almost died.

Okay, that's a bit dramatic. I was almost in a car accident about 100 feet from this restaurant.

But since I avoided that, I was able to order a smothered carnitas (no beans) burrito at Los Carboncitos. It's a sit-down place with an extensive menu. The neighborhood is perhaps the sketchiest I've been too, but inside was one of the nicer interiors. By which, I mean that this restaurant had carpet.



After ordering, the brought me complimentary chips and salsa, which was nice. They were good too.

Within minutes, I was presented with a full plate. I thought this might be the one.

It certainly looked the part. The chile was more brown than green and a zigzag of sour cream laced across the top. The presentation and aroma had me believing this could be the best yet.



I forked open the first bite and my reaction was "Indian?" For some reason, the first bite and the first bite only, evoked hints of Indian spices. As I proceeded further I encountered crispy carnitas, semi-colored rice and a lovely tortilla.

With any burrito, the first couple bites are just getting your bearings. Is this good, is this bad. So far, it was good.

But as I continued, there was nothing that stood out as excellent. The carnitas were very crispy and lacked the big flavor I've come to expect. The texture sometimes provided an enjoyable crunch but usually felt too dry. I would call them overcooked, but I'm sure it was intentional.

The rice wasn't completely white, but it also lacked the color and flavor I look for in rice. And while not as bad as some places, it was on the mushy side.

The green chile was solid, but the burrito contents were so dry, I could have used more of it. The sour cream was barely noticeable.

The tortilla was very good. It had a great flavor and a flaky texture.

Overall, it made for a good but not great burrito.

El Taco De Mexico 9.5
La Abeja 9.5
Señor Burritos 9.25
El Taco Veloz 9
Los Carboncitos 8.5
Socorro's 8
El Tepehaun 8
Chipotle 8
Bocaza 7.5
Adelita's 7
Tacos Rapidos 7

Editor's Note: I'm lowering the score of Señor Burritos to a 9.25, in my head there's a clear top two so I figure I can't have a three-way tie for scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment