Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Mark Fever: 2014 Recap

Another fun trip. He got in Thursday night and for dinner we had buffalo chicken dip, first discovered in this post. It was really good.


Over the course of the weekend, we played lots of Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Zombie Dice and one game of Cleopatra. 

Friday we set out to do something that's been on my list for over two years. We drove 35 minutes west to Conifer, CO to play a 23-hole disc golf course set on a mountain. It's a hike so we loaded up with 2 liters of water per person, new discs, sandwiches and a protein bar (brownie). We played a skins game (with a max of 3). If you lost the hole, you had to carry the backpack. Mark won the first hole but then I won five in a row. My lead was between 3 and 4 all the way until the 13th where we had our first tie (I was up 3 at the time.) On the 14th I hit my best shot, a 20-foot putt that tied that hole. And on the 15th Mark made the great putt to get all three skins and tie the game. 

And then it started to rain. First a sprinkle, but pretty quickly it was pouring and we were in the middle of the woods. We picked up our pace and got through as much as we could. I opened a one or two shot lead and maintained that through the 21st hole. Up two, two to play. We tied the 22nd meaning, the last hole would be worth two. So either we'd tie, I'd win by two, or I'd win by four.

And then it started to hail. I've never been hailed on before. It really hurts. We tried to shield ourselves under trees but that only works so well. Luckily, it only hailed for a few minutes. We played the last hole and it was also a tie. 

On the way back we went to Tipsy's Liquor World, a liquor store with a square footage that rivals Cowboys Stadium. We each made our own six-pack. That night we went to Crave with Brit and split a Texas and Sin City burger, redeeming the burger Mark owed me from the Chiefs-Lions bet. 

Afterwards the three of had drinks at Brothers, sitting outside on a couch by a fire pit, including a semi-heated discussion of the Hobby Lobby decision. 

Saturday, Mark and I took the boys to Chuck E Cheese and got lunch at Chick-fil-A. Brit had evening plans so more board games that night. 

Sunday, all of us went to the Farmer's Market, including the bookstore and toy store. Mark bought the boys a train with the first letter of their names. We got peach and apple flavored almonds and then took the kids to lunch at Noodles and stopped at Rocket Fizz for candy and a root beer. 

We set up the adjustable hoop in the backyard and did some rad dunks and I lost some games of HORSE. For dinner, all of us went to Il Vicino for pizza.

After the kids went to bed, Mark and I went to J.D.'s Bait Shop Sports Grill. This place had free darts, free shuffleboard and foosball for $1. The beer selection wasn't the best (I got a Fat Tire) but the Tackle Box appetizer was pretty good and the games weren't crowded. Mark kicked my ass in foosball and I kicked his ass in darts. Shuffleboard was a draw. 

Good games, good food, good times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment