Saturday, December 07, 2019

Cast-Iron Cornbread




This was my first time making cornbread. It wasn't that I really wanted cornbread, it's that I'm looking to make all the things in cast iron. And cornbread is definitely one of the cast iron bucket list items. 

I thought about Jalapeno Cheddar, but figured for the first go round I should keep it classic. 

This was the recipe I used. Even though it called for a 10-inch skillet, it filled my 12-inch perfectly. The only substitution I made was using milk instead of buttermilk. 

It came out very moist and delicious. It was a little too dark on bottom, so I could try preheating less or trying to remove it from the pan after baking. 

Still, a success and something that I would make again. 

For the honey butter, I just mashed three drizzles of honey into a softened stick of butter, one at a time, just eyeing it until it had the color and smell I wanted.




1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups buttermilk
1 large egg
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place an oven-proof 10-inch cast iron skillet in the oven.
In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg and 3 tablespoons butter. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist.
Remove skillet from the oven and add remaining 3 tablespoons until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
Working carefully, immediately scoop the batter into the hot skillet. Place into oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes.
Serve warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment