Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Allure of Improvement

Often times, I enjoy a nice meal and I think to myself how could I have made it better. What would I order next time? At Potbelly, I should say no mustard. And get the cookie, but not the chips. And instead of root beer, maybe cream soda. At chipotle, this time I got steak, but next time it's back to barbacoa. And I won't get the chips or the guacamole, it's unneccessary.

Why do I enjoy thinking about what to change? It gives me something to look forward to. That this could be even better. And sometimes you order things that take a couple tries to get right, do you get the ribs and the pork, the beef, the sausage or chicken. But when you sit down and enjoy a nice meal of pulled pork, chicken, bbq beans, french fries, and cornbread muffins, and you say "I wouldn't change a thing"... there is something satisfying but yet you realize that it won't get any better.

And I think that we all like to look forward to things getting better, no matter how good they already are.

No comments:

Post a Comment