Monday, August 14, 2006

The Deadspin Effect

So there's this thing called blogging, or so I've heard, and it appears that the gist of it is: people write down things and other people read them.

Well, when I started this little shenanigan of a site, I had the idea that I would be presenting my grand ideas to the masses. This is my soapbox. Well, obviously the only people that were reading it were the few friends that I had told about it. But I had the illusion that I was writing this for anyone that wanted to read it.

But then I stumbled upon Deadspin. The sports blog of sports blogs. And I started reading it every day, 10 times a day. And I eventually started making comments, that linked back to this site. And then I got Deadspin to link to one of my posts, and before I knew it, other people, complete strangers were reading my silly little posts.

What I realized was that it was kind of nice, not to have to worry about anyone reading my posts. That I was really writing because I liked writing, and I liked having a few friends read it and say that I liked it. And I never really needed anyone else to know it existed. And now it exists, not by much, but enough that anyone looking for entourage quotes can find it and tell me that the quotes that I copied and pasted contained an error, or that they find my opinion on baseball stats, "retarded." And that's okay. But it's still a little strange.

1 comment:

  1. Deadspin probably had an indirect effect too...I'm guessing it boosted your blog's overall Google rank. So someone searching entourage quotes is more likely to find you now then they were before.

    It certainly is strange knowing strangers are coming and going all the time, consuming content that you put up for either a smaller audience or even just for your own amusement.

    ReplyDelete