Friday, October 20, 2006

Detroit is the Ultimate Sports City

Hockey:
The Red Wings have won 10 Stanley Cups, including 3 in the last 10 years. 10 Stanley Cups is the most of any team*!

*This of course excludes the teams from Montreal and Toronto, but the N in NHL stands for National--and I'm pretty sure we know what nation we're talking about. The fact remains, Detroit has the best hockey team in America.

Basketball:
Pistons have won 5 championships, 3 in the NBA, including 2004. Plus, they have won the designation of most "bad boys." Plus, including the Fort Wayne Pistons, the Pistons are 3-4 in NBA Finals appearances. Their 7 Finals apperances total one more Finals appearance than the Chicago Bulls, and they were a dynasty!

Baseball:
The Tigers may have seemed like a terrible team, but that's just not true. They have 10 AL pennants, and 5 World Series Championships. They're dependable too. In fact, every year they always win at least 43 games. The Mets can't even say that! But in baseball, as in life, it's all about what have you done for me lately. And the Tigers just swept the Cardinals, to win the 2006 World Series*!

*Editor's note: This article will appear in the November 14th issue of Hoagie Central.

Football:
So here's where you think Detroit doesn't have it all when it comes to winning sports teams, but how could you forget that in January 2006, the Super Bowl was won in Detroit!

3 comments:

  1. That's right! Way to go Detroit. It's too bad that Busch Stadium was the closest stadium to my childhood home and that the Tigers were so bad throughout my childhood, because I fear that I'm rooting for the team that's going to get spanked in the World Series. I'm a Detroit fan for everything but baseball. The Tigers are my AL team, but the Cardinals are MY team.

    But I can't complain. I've gotten to root for championship teams a lot. I've seen the Pistons, Red Wings, and Wolverines (before I was an Illinois student) win championships. I've rooted for the Cardinals in the World Series, and at least I got to watch Barry Sanders play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, This is topic is often talked about between me and the other spports loving Peace Corps Volunteers ass we try to reach a cooncensus as to which is the best sports city/has the best fans. We all advocate for our particular cities and teams but when you get past the home town favoritism it is clear there are three cities that stand above the rest, Namely: Chicago, Detroit and Philidelphia - The factors include having a long history, usually full with working class fans and heroes, Dick Butkis, Bill Lambeer, Charles Barkley all mispelled. I think Detroit and Chicago are the clear 1 and 2 but there is no best, just differesnt swing of the pendulum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I would like to go beyond sports to say taht when you combine sports, music and food- Chicago and Detroit, and Philidelphia round out the top four cities with of course adding in New York. Perhaps you can write about this and provide some sort of metric,

    Seriously though, like Pheonix, Jacksonville, or Dallas Could ever hang out in this group of cities.

    One might also include Boston on account of the Bruins, Celtics, and RedSox. Moreover, they would be correct if only the Patriots were not in Foxburough

    ReplyDelete