Friday, October 17, 2008

Hoagie Central Endorses Sen. Barack Obama for President

In 2004, I voted for the President of the United States for the first time. Things were different four years ago. Gas was still cheap and the stock market was fine. And Katrina was just a pretty name.

The last time we had a presidential election, it seemed the only issue on the table was the War in Iraq. We had already declared Mission Accomplished, and unearthed a prisoner torture scandal, but the question on the voter's minds was who should best handle the war?

It's almost hard to believe now, but voters actually bought the argument that Bush was the one that got us in, so he should be the one to get us out. I guess it didn't help that Kerry was a flip-flopping, windsurfing liberal from a state that supports gay marriage and that he didn't really deserve any medals of honor.

On November 2, 2004, I voted for John Kerry for President. I wasn't supremely confident in Kerry in a vacuum, but I knew that he would be better than Bush. When we found out that Bush won the election, I cried. Not for Kerry, and not because of Bush. I cried that night thinking about all the Americans that were going to unnecessarily die in Iraq.

I just looked it up. Since 2005, the U.S. death toll in Iraq is 2,853. And we're still not out.

Ever since that day, I've been looking forward to the fall of 2008. I was convinced the silver lining of the W presidency was that America would have to vote a Democrat into the White House. Even back then I was 99% sure that I was going to vote Democratic in 08, based strictly on the issues (not overturning Roe vs. Wade, modifying No Child Left Behind, banning assault weapons, pro net neutrality, gay rights, equal pay for women, universal healthcare, pro environment, pro renewable energy, and anything else I'm forgetting).

But what I didn't know is whether or not I would be excited about voting for the Democratic nominee.

On May 12, 2006, Brittany and I attended a taping of Late Night with Conan O'Brien in Chicago. The guest was Senator Barack Obama, when there were only rumors of him running for president. I remember thinking how great it would be if he decided to run.

At that point, I could only dream of a president with sound judgment. A man not afraid to think about something and give a nuanced, accurate answer that can still be understood by anyone. A person that can be calm in the face of crisis, and is in fact, the candidate that I most want to see answer the phone at 3 a.m.

It may be difficult for Obama to actually pass all of his plans and be able to pay for them. But I'd rather have a President that has good plans and difficulty passing them, then some one with poor plans and an easy time passing them.

As much trouble as the world is in, and as important as your foreign policy is, I think it's time that we have a president that actually cares about the economy, education and healthcare in our own country. And I think it's plainly clear that Obama not only knows what he's doing in these departments, but he has a vested interest in not forgetting about the middle class. In running his campaign and helping deal with the economic crisis, he's shown that surrounds himself with the best and brightest advisers.

And yet, in foreign policy, it is he that the world needs right now. America needs to show a new face to the world, to signal that we've progressed as a country. That we can be strong and yet diplomatic. We can be a superpower and not bend international policies.

Months ago, critics cited his lack of experience. But the reason experience is valuable, is for the way that it shapes your judgment and prepares you to handle situations. I have no qualms about voting for a man with excellent judgment who is ready to lead.

There were times during the primary when it was whispered that only reason Obama had made it this far was because he was black. And it assuredly has helped him in the African-American community. Yet, this is a country that is less than 13% black. And to win the Presidency he is going to need to win states like Iowa, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. There is no doubt in my mind, that all other things being equal right now, with the last 8 years of Bush and the economic crisis, if Obama was white and was as Christian as could be, this race would be out of reach. But that doesn't matter now.

No one in their right mind should be supporting a candidate based on race. This election is too important. This time is too transcendent. We need a president that can pick this country up and get it going in the right direction.

In perhaps the only telling point in any of the 3 presidential debates, the candidates were asked to prioritize three issues: healthcare, energy, and social security. I thought it was a difficult question, because by nature of the question, you have to put something in the least priority slot, and that might be the most important issue to particular voters.

So what happened? McCain went first and said that "We are Americans. We can do everything." He refused to answer the question. Possibly, because he couldn't think on his feet and decide what was important to him. That's rhetoric instead of action, the very thing he loves to criticize Obama for.

Then Obama stepped up and clearly said energy first, then healthcare, and then social security. That they were all important but you have to be able to prioritize. It wasn't so much the answer, but the fact that he was able to actually answer the question. (In fact, I expected him to put healthcare first.)

I've already established that I think John McCain shot himself in the foot with his unqualified choice of a running mate. But I want to make this clear: unlike in 2004, I am not voting against someone. I am voting for someone. And it feels good.

I'm careful with my money. I buy my loaf of bread based on what's on sale that week. And this was the first political campaign that I've ever donated to. I thought it was more important that Obama have my money than I have it.

As I prepare for the day in which I am honored to cast my vote for Sen. Obama, I can't help but think about the results. Of course, I want him to get to 270 electoral votes. But I want more than that. I want a distinct popular vote win. But most of all, I want specific states to turn blue. I want Ohio and Florida, for all the grief they've caused us in the last two elections. I want Kansas City and St. Louis to step up and make Missouri blue. I want Indiana because it's right next door. I want Virginia. And it would be great to get West Virginia too.

This is not about winning an election. This is about restoring the country. And I enthusiastically think that Barack Obama is the man that will do this. At one point when McCain was leading in the polls, I dejectedly decided that if America votes for John McCain that this country deserves what they get with him.

And today, optimistically as ever, I am starting to believe that on November 4th, America will prove that they in fact deserve what they get with Barack Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment