Tuesday, October 07, 2008

novel update

Since you asked...

I've learned a lot in the editing process. One of the things that I've learned is that I probably shouldn't have sent out a Save The Date that far in advance.

I have a draft finished. That is not the same as being finished. I'm going through it, as I type, and there's significant work to be done.

For months I had been looking forward to having a novel release party on my birthday. And this week I'm coming to grips with the fact that it might not happen. At least not on November 22nd.

I would need to make the final bulk order by about November 5th, so I've still got a month, but that includes having my editors go through it and printing a test copy. Right now, I'm starting to accept that it would be better to release it at a later date when it's something that I'm 100% proud of, than to release it on time if I know it's not as good as it could be.

This is the most personal, important, and meaningful thing I've ever done. And hopefully when I finish, it will be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Then it may be time to send a "Change the Date" :)

    I agree with you though, that it makes more sense to be 100% happy with it than to rush it and inadvertently cut some corners to meet a self-imposed deadline.

    ReplyDelete