Monday, March 22, 2010

HOW TO: make pan-fried pork cutlets

After last week's practice run, I knew what I was doing with the second half of my fresh pork cutlets. The package I bought was actually labeled pork tenderloin cutlets, but as long it's boneless pork tenderloin and not too thick, it should work. I set up my station with a milk soak and a flour dip.

Pork in milk! Yeah for keeping kosher!

I let them soak in the milk for 15-30 seconds and then rolled each piece in the flour, shaking off the excess. I've heard of seasoning your flour, but that seems like a waste, since you end up throwing out so much flour. Plus, you don't want the seasoning to burn. I like to season as soon as a side is done cooking, so it's hot and oily and ready for flavor. In the pan heated up to medium, I poured some olive oil in to cover the bottom. And in go the pieces.


These 4 pieces were originally 2 long pieces, but I cut them down for ease in flipping and more uniform cooking. It takes about 5 minutes on the first side. And you don't want to move them around, you want that crust to build. So it's a good chance to just clean up the milk/flour station and wait for it to bubble up.

This is the only tricky part. On my first attempt, after I flipped and cooked the second side, I discovered that the lovely flour crust was now stuck the bottom of the pan. The first side you cook is no problem though. So while flipping this time, I hit the pan with a little non-stick spray, and made sure there was enough oil.

In the picture below, with three pieces just moved from the pan, you can see that it leaves behind plenty of little bits, but not an entire crust. Again, as soon you flip, hit the finished side with salt and pepper.


And those little bits, they look like burned garbage. But don't throw them out! Scrape them off before they get too black, and they taste like perfect fresh bacon bits. Last time I served mashed potatoes on the side, and put my pork bits right in there. This time I didn't bother with potatoes, so the extra brown bits just went right on top, for a double crunchy coating.

I went 3 for 4, in terms of getting the perfect coating on both sides. The bottom left piece in the picture below had a little stickage problem, but I just scraped it up and put it back on.


The pork was 3.99/pound. I think this package was under 5 bucks, and I got two huge meals out of it. Way better and cheaper than something you'd order at Cracker Barrel and pay 14 bucks for.

No comments:

Post a Comment