Tuesday, November 23, 2010

life doesn't get better than this

Or if it does, then it might be too much for me to bear.

Our trip to Kansas City started on Saturday. First stop: College Basketball Experience.


I had been there before in April. This visit was just as good. My favorite events are the dunk zones and the buzzer beater station. Brit came with me and she enjoyed the free throw contest. During one I got in a groove and made about 10 in a row, ended up with 20 free throws in 60 seconds. (The high score at the time was 26, so I was happy with that.)



That night we met up with some of Brit's family, and had a family-style carryout barbecue dinner.

Sunday morning: game time!

We arrived at new Arrowhead at 10:45. $22 for parking.



Entered the stadium and went looking for the new Chiefs Hall of Honor.

It's a brand new, large exhibit that is pretty well done. The one drawback is that it's surrounded by concessions, so it's extra crowded and didn't feel like a mini-Canton because of it. But they did have a lot of cool stuff on display, had large screens playing classic Chiefs clips on the walls and ceiling, and of course, nice busts honoring the best Chiefs.


As for the rest of the stadium, it looked nice. A lot of new art throughout the concourse, and the concessions were redone. I had done my research and had even voted for a new sanwdwich item--a short rib melt with parmesan-crusted bread. So imagine my face when I show up the concessions in our upper deck section, and there is no sandwich to be found. It's maybe 20 minutes to kickoff and there's not even any barbecue stations up here. Sure they had burgers and hot dogs, but the only barbecue option was a "burnt end cheesesteak." So what the hell, I got it.


Found our seats, 301, row 28, seat 13/14, right on the 50 yard line and dug in to this mystery cheesesteak. So good! Why isn't this on ever poster throughout the concourse?


I did film two pre-game videos: the guitar solo national anthem and the intro video.


I'll talk about the actual game in a separate post, but obviously it was a great game to see. Some nice big plays for the Chiefs and basically no mistakes.

At haltime, I ran down to the Club Level to check out the fancy suites and then down to lower deck where I found the new Short Rib Melt. Despite being $11, it was not nearly as good as the $8.50 cheesesteak.


Great game, though it wasn't very tense in the second half. But I'm not complaining. The only other W Brit and I have seen together, came in week 17 against a Bengals team that wasn't trying, and wasn't enough to get us into the playoffs. So this was the best team performance we've seen.

After relaxing at a mall, we went to dinner at Jack Stack Barbecue, and hit Gates for lunch on Monday (my actual birthday) on our way out of town. Again, more on that later.
But great game, great food, great fun, great weekend. What more could I ask for?

1 comment: