Thursday, January 17, 2013

HC court: you decide

I was chatting with someone recently, let's say his name is Miraj.

Anyways, he's a Chicago guy moving to San Francisco. And I asked him about sports teams.

He said he didn't really care about baseball or basketball.
And for hockey, he'll stay a Blackhawks guy.
But for football, he'll stay a Bears fan. But also become a 49ers fan.

whaaaaa?

This didn't make any sense to me. So I quizzed Miraj on a bunch of scenarios and he said he would still root for the Bears vs the 49ers, but that if the Bears were out of it late in the year, he would just watch the 49ers.

He said he didn't think it was a big deal because the 49ers aren't a real rival to the Bears.

First of all, they're in the same conference.
Second of all, they just so happen to be in back-to-back conference championship games, so it's not like you're jumping on to the Arizona Cardinals bandwagon.
Third of all, you can't have two teams.

I think you're allowed to like another team a little, but they have to be in the other conference and you're not allowed to buy any merchandise or think of them as your team.

So Mark...what say you? Fair or foul?


2 comments:

  1. I think Miraj can't watch the 49ers and be happy when they win, if the Bears are out of it, but he can't actively root for them. DEFINITELY no merchandise.

    For some reason, when I was a kid, I started to like the Bengals and Colts, mostly because they were always underdogs. Just terrible teams. But I never rooted for them. Just looked at the standings.

    I know Miraj is planning on living in San Francisco for a while, maybe even lay down some roots, so any future little Miraj's can root for the 49ers (but should be actively pushed to root for the Bears), but not Miraj himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's clear that Mark mean't to say "I think Miraj *can* watch the 49ers"

    I forgot to add that Matt was on board with adopting the 49ers. To which the only response can be, Matt's an idiot.

    ReplyDelete