Thursday, January 03, 2013

Reid?

Initial thoughts on reports that Andy Reid will coach the Chiefs:

I'm not ecstatic.

I think he and Lovie Smith are the the best of the possibilities that have NFL head coaching experience. I think either of those two coaches could find success in the right situations again, but doubt that the Chiefs is a great situation to come into.

I'd probably prefer to find an up and coming success story like Chip Kelly. Another name floated for the Chiefs is Keith Armstrong, a special teams coach that I know nothing about.

Honestly, I wish we still had Haley.

Let's revisit his tenure:
Inherited a 2-14 team and was given Matt Cassel at QB.

First year: 4-12.
Second year: 10-6 and playoff berth
Third year: We lost Charles, Berry and Moeaki for the season and still had Cassel at QB. Was fired after going 5-8.

Haley went for it on fourth downs and seemed to get good results out of our players. If instead of firing Haley, we could have traded with STL to get RG3 or even selected Russell Wilson (passed on him three times), we would be much better off.

But we didn't do that. Obviously, in hindsight it's easy to say draft Wilson. He could and still might be a bust. (Or even Kirk Cousins in the 3rd round.) But we don't have a QB. And now it appears we'll be getting Andy Reid.

I think he could have success. But he needs a QB.

No comments:

Post a Comment