Monday, January 07, 2013

The NHL Is Back

First of all, to be clear, I was never one of the hockey fans that made bold promises about boycotting the league or taking a year off. Over the last four months, there was plenty of that sentiment on hockey blogs and reddit.com/r/hockey--people claiming they were done with the NHL forever. And then yesterday, everyone's back on board. 

I was disappointed  especially in October when I needed something to distract me from the Chiefs and Illinois football, but I knew that even if the league canceled a whole season, I'd come back and start watching games and taking my kids to games one day. 

And it's kind of a bummer that they're not playing the full 82, and a real shame that they couldn't get a deal in time for the Winter Classic, they're still playing 48 + playoffs. 

Which is more than any other team I follow:

Chiefs 2-14
Illinois Football 2-10* (1-10 against div 1-a)
Illinois Basketball 14-2 at the moment with about 20 games left to play

So the Avs will suit up 48 times (at least) in the next three months. I'll take that.

1 comment:

  1. The whole thing was ridiculous. They couldn't have come up with this agreement months ago? I wanted to see the Winter Classic. Hockey seems like a tough sport to play in a condensed schedule.

    I would never swear off a sport, but if they had missed 2 years in the last 7, I wouldn't have been happy. I'm almost always on the players' side in these lockouts/strikes. If you don't want to own a pro team, sell it to somebody who does.

    ReplyDelete