Thursday, June 27, 2013

Ranking NHL Logos

I saw this piece of shit article and figured I could do better.

30. Canucks

This is a shitty idea with shitty execution. It barely passes as a C, everything about it is terrible.

29. Ducks
Just bland. Feel like it's trying really hard to be from the future.

28. Blue Jackets

This is a shame because Columbus has the best third jersey around. But this color scheme and design are cloying.

27. Islanders

I get it. It's the island. But at small sizes it just looks like a stripe with a shitty brushstroke technique. The fonts are weak. The Y hockey stick doesn't match so it's a piss-poor job all-around.

26. Capitals

This isn't as offensive as the bottom four, but it's pretty bad. You can't just throw a hockey stick into anything and have it a be a good hockey logo, in fact, it's a recipe for a bad one. And the washington is part of the logo but unreadable in normal use. At least their color scheme is appropriate.

25. Stars


This is shite. Loses points for being brand new and being a downgrade from their old logo. It's a D in a star. Someone decided that a D on an angle was more impressive than a regular D. Italics are intimidating!


24. Flames
I don't like logos that are cartoony or trying to be aggressive. This falls into cartoony. Although I guess it's also trying to be aggressive.

23. Penguins
Cartoony. And there's that hockey stick. It feels like they think they're ironic or something for using this. A downgrade from where they were.

22. Predators
Aggresive. It's at least well-done. Just boring.

21. Sharks
The holy trinity. Cartoony, agressive and a hockey stick! I think you could have an awesome logo for a shark. Just the fin would be exciting. This seems silly.


20. Kings
This doesn't feel like a logo. I wouldn't mind just the crown. I do appreciate that they've dropped the purple.

19. Coyotes
It doesn't show up that well in a small size, but it's not awful. A little boring but it's a decent coyote. 


18. Flyers

To make this list, I started by organizing them into best, worst, and in between. 13 teams fell into my worst category. As I started to rank them I kept moving this up because it has all the elements of logos I like. It just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's the color scheme. Even with no "bad" elements, it's still sort of ugly.

17. Hurricanes

This was the worst logo on the article I linked earlier and I wasn't sure why. It's a decent graphical representation of a hurricane, the symmetry is pretty nice (though I wish it was perfect). It's not great, but it's a lot better than the Canucks. Of course, it does slightly resemble a butthole.

16. Panthers


This is hit and miss. I appreciate the symmetry. But the gold is an ugly shade and it's trying pretty hard.

PART TWO TO COME LATER

No comments:

Post a Comment