Friday, October 11, 2013

Chiefs and Avs Turn It Around

I follow two professional sports teams. 

In 2013, they both had the #1 pick.

The Kansas City Chiefs are currently 5-0.
The Colorado Avalanche are currently 4-0-0.

- - -

Now I'm not going to start sucking everyone's popsicles just yet, but it's pretty nice. I've yet to see the Avs in the playoffs or the Chiefs win a playoff game. 

Both are at least in play. 

Though of course, the ultimate goal is winning a championship. 

- - - 

Chiefs Thoughts

I haven't been too confident about their Super Bowl hopes. I was even shocked to see Football Outsiders give them a 14% chance of making the Super Bowl this year:


So if the Chiefs have a 14.2% chance of making the Super Bowl and the Lions have a 3.2% chance, then there is a .45% chance of a Chiefs-Lions Super Bowl. I'll take it. 


The main reason I'm not confident is the Broncos are legit. They are scary good. 

But if I were to start getting confident...I might point out that the Broncos with their defensive issues remind me a bit of the 2003 Chiefs. That team never punted in their playoff game and still lost (to Peyton Manning though). You could also say that the Broncos remind me of the 2007 Patriots. The greatest football team of all time...until they lost in the playoffs. 

I could even say that the Chiefs don't have to beat the Broncos either time in the regular season. All they have to do is beat them once in January. With Peyton Manning in the cold. 

I know it's a stretch. But it's a glimmer. 

- - - 

Avs Thoughts

The Avalanche turnaround is more surprising. 

Disclaimer: I know it's only four games in. The Avs have played 4.87% of their season. The Chiefs have played 31.25%. The Chiefs could lose more games than they win for the rest of the year, and still make the playoffs as a 10-6 team. The Avs could not. 

That said, the Avs just went on the road and beat Toronto and Boston who otherwise are a combined 6-0-0. We know they have a decent offense with young, quick talent. We thought their defense was weak and goaltending was suspect. They might win some games 3-2, but they'll also lose plenty 5-4. 

Bring in a new coach and suddenly the Avs have only allowed 3 goals in 4 games, the best rate in the league. 

Even though at this point the Avs are no lock to make the playoffs (far worse odds than the Chiefs)...I think they have better odds of winning it all. For one, they don't have to play Peyton Manning. 

For another, he won the Cup the first year playing in Colorado. He won the Memorial Cup the first year coaching the Remperts. Why not win the Cup the first year coaching in Colorado?

No comments:

Post a Comment