Thursday, October 17, 2013

FRIES, Ranked

This was a bit strange. Because I didn't want to get into the weeds of ranking Wendy's vs Burger King vs McDonald's, but there are some places that have unique fries. And I thought it would be helpful when judging say, waffle fries, what I'm actually thinking of.


8. Steak Fries

These are usually bland and limp. If they're crispy they're not that bad. This will be a trend.


7. Potato Wedges


These have a tendency to have to much potato (the correct ratio is key). But usually they have a good seasoning or fried coating, so they're okay.


6. Waffle Fries (Chick-fil-A)

This is was mostly the inspiration for this list. Mrs. Hoagie Central loves waffle fries. They are never crispy enough for me. I had some yesterday fresh from the drive-thru and there was no crunch. They are soft. I don't get it. I think if they just cooked them a bit more they might be better.


5. Thin Cut (Steak 'n Shake)


This is the one fry on the list that gets the ratio wrong by having too little potato. In my head, Steak n Shake fries are even thinner than all the pictures on the internet. Crispiness, check. But it's all fried, no potato.


4. Crinkle Cuts


I admire the idea. Create more edges for more crispiness. The problem? I think they're always just a bit too thick. Too much potato. Maybe if these people talked to the Steak n Shake people, they could compromise.


3. Classic


McDonald's is always sort of the gold standard. And they're good for sure. But there are two that if I see on a menu, I'd order instead.


2. Sweet Potato Fries


Maybe there's still a novelty factor, but these are usually crispy, have the right amount of potato, and have more flavor too.

1. Curly Fries


A-ha! These are fun, but more so, they're crispy, with a great potato ratio, and they're usually seasoned quite nicely too. Arby's, you're doing something right.

2 comments:

  1. You couldn't be more right about curly fries, and I still can't believe Arby's is one of the only fast food places that has them. When they've got the right seasoning on them they are amazing!! I know you said you're avoiding comparing chains, but I think I'd go Wendy's > Burger King > McDonalds.

    Also have you ever had Five Guys cajun fries? I think they're not super crispy but you can't beat the quantity and the taste of that seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree. I go to Arby's when I'm home PRIMARILY for the fries. The roast beef isn't bad, but the fries are the best.

    Also, fries in Israel suck. They're too thick and soft.

    ReplyDelete