Monday, April 14, 2014

Playoff Fever

All I want to do is read or talk about or watch the NHL playoffs.

Since I'm only a fan of the Chiefs (and wasn't in Kansas City in 1993), and the Avalanche for the last three years, I honestly don't know what it's like to have a team advance in the playoffs.

The closest is that I've seen the Illini go to National Championship. And that was awesome. (Since then, Illinois hasn't even made it to the Sweet 16.)

- - -

I started following the Avs as soon as I moved here. Technically, I bought a hat even before I got a job offer. I've gone to a total of four games in person, at least one every year.

My first year here, they finished 11th in the West, 20th in the league.
Last year, the finished last in the West, 29th in the league. Got the #1 pick.
This year, 2nd in the West. 3rd in the league.

Last May, I was excited. I saw this coming in a few years, not right away.

- - -

This is different the recent Chiefs playoff games. Not since 2003, when the Chiefs went 13-3 did I think they had a real chance of getting to a conference championship game, or God forbid, the Super Bowl.

Really the only time I've felt like that for my teams have been the 2003 Chiefs and the 2005 Illini.

I'm not saying the Avs are a lock to make it to the Cup Finals. But I think they beat the Wild. I know they could beat the Blackhawks. They're a contender.

And hey, Roy won the Memorial Cup his first year coaching in the QMJHL. Why not win the Stanley Cup his first year in the NHL?

- - -

There have now been 9 Avalanche seasons where Patrick Roy was player or coach. 9 out 9 times the Avs won the division.

There were 9 seasons where Roy was not a player or coach. 0 out of 9 times did the Avs win the division.

- - -

Over the last 11 games, the Avs won 18 of 22 possible points. (81.8% winning percentage) And that's without Duchene, still the team's leader in points and assists, despite only playing in 71 games.

That hot streak (combined with the Blues earning 0 of 12 possible points in their last 6 games including one against Colorado) means the Avs get to play the Wild and St. Louis draws the Blackhawks.

In five games against Minnesota, the Avs earned 9 of a possible 10 points, losing in the shootout once.

- - -

Somebody had to win the Central. Why not us? Somebody's going to win the Cup. Why not us?


1 comment:

  1. I guess I've gotten spoiled. I don't get hard until the second round.

    ReplyDelete