Monday, April 05, 2021

Calcutta Recap

Throughout the season it was clear to everyone that Gonzaga and Baylor were the two best teams in college basketball by a considerable margin. They met in the title game. I made a note to get them in Calcutta. The plan was perfect. 

I didn't get either team. 

If I had bid Gonzaga up to $12 and Baylor up to $9, there's a chance I could have gotten both. There's also a chance that someone would have outbid me. If I had gotten both, they would have earned $50. That's a profit of $29 and the title.

Unless...

Is it possible to build a Calcutta roster that out earned $50 without using Gonzaga or Baylor and still staying underbudget?

If you bought the 11 seeds, Houston, Michigan, USC, Arkansas and 12 seeds they would have earned 42.50 but cost you 20.31. So no, even with perfect knowledge, you couldn't outearn someone who had Gonzaga and Baylor.

- - -

I set out to win but got scared about paying too much for Gonzaga and Baylor. I was wary of seeing how top teams can go out in the second round. This year Illinois and Ohio State cost about $17 and returned $1. But Matt at least had a chance of winning it all. Without any realistic title contenders, my roster was well-positioned for a chance of breaking even but not claiming the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment