Tuesday, April 06, 2021

Pasta Journey: My Take on Carbonara

 


So I used all the important caveats in the introduction post. This is not a true Italian carbonara. This is how I like to make it. (Italians would definitely freak out about the cream, garlic and onions. So that's why this isn't called Carbonara. It's inspired by it.) And although it's definitely in the collection of dishes I know how to make, like most things, there is always room for improvement. One time I made it I thought it was the best thing I've ever cooked. I made it last year and thought I didn't do it justice. 

By the next time I make it, I'll probably watch more videos and pick up new techniques. Can always try and get better Italian meat. But here's how I've done it. 

guanciale/pancetta/bacon
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 eggs
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
3/4 cup heavy cream
lots of black pepper
12 ounces of pasta (rigatoni or angel hair are favorites of mine)

Dice the raw meat and fry over medium until crisp. Set aside and season with pepper. Add the onion and garlic to the same pan. Cook until golden. Set aside. Start cooking the pasta. 

In a bowl, mix the eggs, cheese, cream and pepper until smooth. Reserve a cup of the pasta water before you drain the pasta. Drain the pasta and add to pan where you cooked the meat and onion. Drizzle in the sauce while stirring. Add pasta water as necessary. Add the meat, onion and garlic back in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment