Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Daily Favorites: BBQ Meatballs

 


If it makes for a good hors d'oeuvre, shouldn't it make for a good meal?

The answer here is yes. 

The secret to this dish is using turkey meatballs. I've very picky about my meats and I simply won't entertain the thought of a turkey burger, turkey chili or anything like that. But with the seasonings and the meatball form factor (plus covering them in sauce) these taste pretty darn great.

And the calorie difference is incredible. 2 turkey meatballs is 100 cals, so this plate of 8 is very filling at 400 cals. 2 traditional meatballs are 240 cals, so this plate would be 960. Yikes. With the sauce, it's probably 450 or so.

As for sauce, I use a blend of two different bbq sauces, one spicy, one sweet. This time I had Gates original and Ray's no sugar. I did try adding just a touch of strawberry jam and that was delicious as well. Strawberry jalapeno is a great combo, so I'll look at trying that in the future. 

I've done this in the style of chicken parm before and it's good that way too. But somehow when I have the meatballs I'm always craving the spicy sweet bbq flavors.

This is at the top of the list of most filling per calorie foods I have. So on a day like today where I had an extra granola bar as a mid-afternoon snack, I turn this. Even 6 of these are very filling for 300 cals.

For plating, it would be nice to have some chopped chives or sesame seeds or something, but let's be honest. It's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment