Sunday, April 18, 2021

eating & cooking update

Usually I save my food realizations for the end of the month weight loss progress post, but too many realizations to wait. 

I'll start with a small one first: I can't eat nuts anymore. Because a few nuts turns into ten handfuls. The Lays' slogan "betcha can't eat just one" definitely applies to me and cashews/pistachios/peanuts. So I just need to avoid them in the first place. 

The big realization was how the pasta journey went in reality. I gained five pounds in a week. Partly that was because of my youngest kid's birthday, and part of it is because I also can't just eat one portion of pasta. I'm much better when things are portioned out or I make one serving of something, then making a pot of pasta and only taking a serving. 

This tells me a few things. I'm definitely better off not going down the rabbit hole of learning to smoke my own meats. I can tell having an entire brisket on my counter would not end well for my health. 

The other thing that I learned is that while part of the fun of pasta journey was the pasta, the other fun part was the journey. I enjoyed the cooking, learning lessons, taking notes along the way, and collecting successful recipes for later use. So...pasta journey will still be ongoing, just at a much more sporadic pace. (My first attempt at cacio e pepe was a clumpy fail. I will be back to master this yet, but there's no hurry.)

And I'll start a new collection of Every Day Favorites. Healthy dishes that will help me stay on track with losing/maintaining a healthy weight while also being delicious. This way I can continue on a journey, adding dishes regularly. Which instead of slowing down my progress, will only help as I build a library of meals to turn to.

2 comments:

  1. For nuts, the ones that come in single serving packs might let you avoid having to cut them out completely, though of course those packages are always gonna cost more than the bulk containers. Just a suggestion because I've had the same dilemma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or alternatively, buy in bulk and portion into ziploc snack bags right away.

    ReplyDelete