Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Daily Favorites: Teriyaki Beef Bowl


This was my first time making something like this. The title of the recipe that caught my eye was Korean Beef Bowl but I'm doubtful this recipe is authentically Korean. So just to be safe, I'm calling it a teriyaki beef bowl. (Also, I think it looks better on a plate, but I did stir it up like a bowl.)

This is more subtle than the General Tso dish I made recently. My first bite was a little underwhelming. But it grew on me with every bite and by the end I was scraping the pan for the last bit of sauce. 

Also, it didn't take long at all. I started preheating my pan and grated a nub of fresh ginger, three garlic cloves, and julienned the carrots. 

Browned a little over half a pound of beef, seasoning with salt and pepper. Then added a generous amount of Kikkoman teriyaki sauce, the grated ginger and garlic. Stirred until they dissolved. Tasted and decided to go ahead and add a pinch of brown sugar. 

Added the carrots, added more teriyaki sauce and let them cook together for a minute while I sliced some green onions for garnish. The teriyaki sauce is so thin that it absorbs into everything. So it doesn't *look* saucy but it actually is.

The boys actually tried and liked this, which worked out because the plate above was probably 2/3 of the meat in the pan. 

I'll guess the meat was 400, the rice was 200, the sauce was under 100. 

I do love fresh ginger and should really use it more often. I won't make this that often, but it was tasty for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment