Thursday, September 23, 2021

moon shots

One of my bucket list projects is taking pictures of the stars and the moon. The Astrophotography features on the Google Pixel is one of the reasons why I got the Pixel 5a. 

It is very good at taking photos of stars, and there will be more to come on that later. However, taking pictures of stars and the moon are very different tasks, even though they both involve trying to capture a photo of a bright point of light very far away on a dark sky.

With stars you can set the zoom at 1x and capture an entire breadth of the night sky. To see the moon, you need to zoom. My Pixel 5a can go to 7x and trying to get a detailed shot is just not very feasible.

For reference, here was the best detailed shot I got of the moon back in 2018 using my dslr:



Not great. 

Here's the best I've been able to get with the Pixel 5a:






Not great either. 

So specifically to get shots of the moon, I would need to upgrade to some combination of telescope + camera setup. (Turns out those are expensive.)

So even though a lot of the fun is the thrill of taking the shot myself, I thought I could at least collect some good shots of the moon, just to enjoy what others have been able to capture. 







No comments:

Post a Comment